Up until recent years the oldest or first Chapter in this jurisdiction was thought to be Chapter Zetland. Recently an old battered Charter was discovered which changed this belief.
The recently discovered Charter established the existence of an early English Chapter in New South Wales, believed to be the first from that Constitution and shows that St. John’s Royal Arch Chapter received a Charter which was granted in England on 4th August, 1842.
The Chapter held its first meeting on 10th September, 1844.
Its meeting place was in the Australian Arms Chapter Room, Parramatta.
The Chapter, in accordance with the tradition at the time, was attached to the Warrant of a Craft Lodge, St. John No. 668 (England).